Poulsbo is a city in Liberty Bay Kitsap County of Washington State. Nestled in the heart of Kitsap Peninsula, Poulsbo maintains its historic Scandinavian ambiance. It is known as “Little Norway on the Fjord.” This Little Norway has plenty to show off; from beautiful Puget Sound waterways to vast stretches of green pathways. Its charming waterfront is filled with quaint little shops, bistros, micro-breweries and pubs. This Pacific Northwest destination is popular among tourists from across the world, especially Seattle, Bainbridge Island, San Juans County and other cities of Washington State, due to its beautiful open space, trails and scenic waterways. If you are planning your next adventure with us, here's a list of things to do and see in Poulsbo.
Things to do and see in Poulsbo
- Tourist Attractions: This Scandinavian-themed city is just a short boat ride from Seattle and Bainbridge Island, but it feels like a whole new and different world. Kitsap Peninsula's favorite destination for visitors of all ages and interests is it’s Little Norway streets. Stroll down Front Street to explore its amazing galleries, museums, and shops in Poulsbo's growing art district. Discover the history, heritage and culture of the city at Poulsbo throughout the popular Historical Society Museum, Poulsbo Maritime Museum, Heritage Museum, and Martinson Cabin Museum. You can visit the newly opened Sea Discovery Center where you can learn more about the marine environment and underwater technology. If you and your group would love to see a live orchestra performance, then do visit Poulsbo Community Orchestra. You can attend a variety of concerts and enjoy woodwind, brass, and percussion musical performances from community musicians.
- Parks and Recreation: Parks and recreation facilities play a vital part in the unique character of Poulsbo. The city has 15 parks, which cover 137 acres of Little Norway. The 11-acre Nelson Park has picnic tables with shelters, benches, playgrounds, a farmhouse and Maritime Museum. American Legion Park boasts wooded trails, pedestrian boardwalk, playgrounds, picnic shelters and restrooms. Kitsap Memorial State Park is famous for diving, saltwater fishing, crabbing, clamming, oyster catching, bird watching and hiking. Other popular parks of Poulsbo include Poulsbo's Fish Park, Lions Park, Oyster Plant Park, Forest Rock Hills Park, Wilderness Park, Frank Raab Park, Poulsbo Pump Track, and Morrow Monor Park among others. Poulsbo's Clear Creek Trail is a 3-5 mile trail that runs through pathways of wooden bridges, open field spaces and wetlands. This trail is perfect for people of all age groups. Port Gamble Trails are ideal for mountain bikers and horse riders. If you want the best scenic spot to drive around the city, the Fjord Drive is the ideal place to start. Drive through downtown Poulsbo onto Fjord, where you will get stunning views of the water, beautiful neighborhoods and patches of greenery.
- Outdoor Activities: Poulsbo offers plenty of activities to enjoy for outdoor enthusiasts. Go hiking or bird at Shine Tidelands, Raab Park, American Legion Park, and Kitsap Memorial State Park. You can discover Liberty Bay by kayaking and be a part of Poulsbo Art Walk. It is held second Saturday of each month and provides the opportunity to visit art galleries, dine and shop in the historic downtown. Poulsbo is literally surrounded by water on all sides, making Fly Fishing an exciting event for tourists. Hire a fishing charter and fly fish multiple beaches throughout the day while enjoying scenic views from the water. You will have an excellent experience for fly fishing Sea-Run Cutthroat fish species during your excursion. The surrounding freshwater and saltwater of the Kitsap Peninsula offer plentiful fishing spots such as Agate Passage area, Sandy Hook area, Port Madison, Erickson Reservoir, and Miller Bay, where you can expect to catch chinook, sockeye, pink, chum, and coho. Kitsap County is connected to the eastern shore of Puget Sound. You can also try a dive with scuba diving in Puget Sound, where you can explore an incredible diversity of fish and corals in these nutrient rich waters. Some of the dive sites of Puget Sound include Agate Pass, Dead Man's Wall, Keystone, Owens Beach, Ranger, Fox Island Bridge, and more.
- Dining and Shopping: Poulsbo boasts a wide variety of restaurants that feature ethnic food, Northwest cuisine, and of course a number of pizza parlors and coffee houses. For ethnic food, visit Burrata Bistro, Campana's Italian Restaurant, Sogno di Vino Wine Bar & Ristorante, Azteca, Taqueria Los Cazadores, and Arawan Thai Cuisine. Enjoy a leisurely cup of coffee at one of the coffee houses of Poulsbo including Little Bean Espresso, Cups Espresso, Hot Shots Java Coffeehouse, Poulsbohemian Coffeehouse, and Starbucks. Some of the popular , wine tasting rooms and wine shops in this area include Olympic Wine Shop, Liberty Bay Cellars, and Eleven Winery - Poulsbo Tasting Room. For authentic Northwestern dining experience, check out some of the restaurants of Poulsbo – The Loft Poulsbo, ChocMo Bistro, JJ's Fish House, 12 Trees Café & Catering, Mor Mor Bistro, Spady's Smokehouse BBQ Catering, and Sheila's Port Side Restaurant and Bar just to name a few. Whether you want to buy a perfect gift or wish to explore the antique shops, Poulsbo has it all! Just stroll down Front Street to visit the various shops including Bad Blanche, Possum's Boutique, Molasses Tree, Beachside Gifts, Saisons Boutique, and Poulsbo Village Shopping Center among others.
- Day Trips: There are so many great towns and getaways nestled just a few minutes to an hour away from Poulsbo. These destinations make up for a great day trip during your vacation in Poulsbo. Want to enjoy the nature to the fullest, head to Bainbridge Island. The island has rustic charm with lovely gardens and so many fun outdoor activities to enjoy. You can take your private yacht charter to perhaps the most popular Pacific Northwest destination – Seattle. Its skyscrapers, amazing views of mountains and water, as well as outdoor recreational activities make it the most famous destination in Washington State. Seattle offers a full range of arts, cultural, historical, sporting activities and attractions for tourists to explore and enjoy. If you want to discover the history of Puget Sound and wish to experience modern life, then Port Townsend is the place to be. Port Townsend is an easily accessible base camp for the Olympic Peninsula. Here you will have the opportunity to discover Washington's maritime heritage, artistic spirit and urban chic. Visiting Bremerton is like experiencing renaissance. Quaint shops, theaters, museums and restaurants add to the beauty of this stunning city in Kitsap County. When you are in Poulsbo, why not visit the pristine San Juan archipelago. The four islands of the San Juan’s County - Lopez, Orcas, San Juan, and Shaw – are the usual destinations for weekend getaways and extended stay vacations for relaxation and enjoying activities, such as whale watching, kayaking, bicycling and gentle sightseeing. The waters surrounding the San Juan’s are home to Orca Whales. Set sail on a whale watching tour to see Killer Whales, sea lions, seals, porpoise, bald eagles and a variety of sea birds in their natural habitat. Each San Jaun island destination has its own unique character. If you are a bird lover, then the Puget Loop will surely entice you. Puget Loop has 42 main sites and 18 “more birding” locations to see Bald Eagles, Pileated Woodpeckers, Anna’s Hummingbirds, Pacific Wrens, Chestnut-backed Chickadees, and Pigeon Guillemots. Other popular destinations near Poulsbo include Friday Harbor, Whidbey Island, Ballard Locks, Oak Harbor, and Desolation Sound. You can even plan your extended stay vacation in Vancouver and Victoria.
Poulsbo is a thriving community with many tourist attractions, picturesque places, several parks and fun outdoor activities. It boasts beautiful museums, antique stores, coffeehouses, restaurants, bakeries and gift shops. At Pacific Northwest Yacht Charters, we provide private luxury yacht charters in Poulsbo and to its surrounding destinations. We also offer day trips from Poulsbo to nearby Northwest destinations such as Seattle, Bainbridge Island, San Juans and many more. To learn more about Pacifc Northwest destinations, click on the DESTINATIONS link here. If you have any query regarding our yacht charter services, call us directly at 702-401-4284. We will be happy to help you plan your yachting excursion!